Text: John 7:17
BAPTIST = that group of people who have had a continuous existence from the days of
Jesus Christ and the apostles, down to this present time.
DOCTRINE = something taught; teaching. Something taught as the principles or creed of
a religion or political party. (Webster)
BAPTIST DOCTRINE = the teaching and instructions as set forth, supported and taught
by that group of people whom the world knows as “Baptists.”
A. The old ancient landmarks for which our fathers stood, bled and many died, are
being sadly neglected.
B. We’re living in a day when convictions, doctrine, the Bible and Christ are being
sacrificed on the altar of unity.
C. In every age there are always those who profess the name of Christ but do not
want to bear the reproach of the cross.
1. They cannot stand to be looked down upon by the wise of this world.
2. They’re more concerned with making the gospel “respectable” than in
declaring the whole counsel of God.
3. They’ve made a complicated system of “gears” so as to “gear” the gospel to
youth, to the athlete, to the politician, to the movie star, etc.
4. The whole program is deceptively dangerous for it appeals to the flesh in the
name of the Spirit and invariably glories in the size rather than in fidelity to the truth.
I. THE IMPORTANCE OF DOCTRINE. John 7:17 “If any man will do His will, he
shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God or whether I speak of myself.”
A. If a man does the will of God he will be saved, baptized and come to the
knowledge of the truth.
B. These two doctrines “the way of salvation and the way of baptism” are the
essential doctrines to a New Testament church.
C. All the other precious doctrines hinge on these two.
1. A man can be wrong about a lot of things and still be a church member.
a. But if you’re wrong about the way of salvation, you’re hell bound.
2. A man can be wrong about a lot of things and still have proper baptism and
be a member of a N. T. church.
a. But to reject “God’s way of baptism” is to reject the counsel of God. Luke
7:29-30 “And all the people that heard him, and the publicans,
justified God, being baptized with the baptism of John. But the
Pharisees and lawyers rejected the counsel of God against themselves,
being not baptized of him.”
II. THE WILL OF GOD CONCERNING DOCTRINE. II Tim. 2:15
A. The results of studying God’s doctrine. Deut.32:22 “My doctrine shall drop as
the rain, my speech shall distil as the dew, as the small rain upon the tender
herb, and as the showers upon the grass:”
1. To the rebellious it is like a “beating sweeping” rain, it cuts them down.
2. To the righteous its like a sweet and comfortable dew
B. Christ doctrine came from God. John 7:16 Jesus answered them, and said, My
doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
1. That’s where we should get our doctrine.
2. All true doctrines are found in the Word of God and can be understood by
those who seek to know it.
III. If ITS IN THE BIBLE THEN ITS BAPTIST DOCTRINE, IF ITS BAPTIST
DOCTRINE THEN ITS IN THE BIBLE.
A. Salvation for ALL by grace through faith without any mixture of works is Baptist
doctrine. Eph. 2:8-9
1. Our spiritual life results from our union with Christ; it is in him that we live.
Gal 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in
me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who
loved me, and gave himself for me.
2. Paul explains how we get in Christ. Gal. 3:26
3. Verse 10 “For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus”
a. The new man is a new creature and God is its creator.
b. We are begotten of His will, in Christ Jesus.
c. On the account of what Jesus has done and suffered.
d. And by the influence and operation of the Holy Spirit.
4. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works’ which God hath
before ordained that we should walk in them.
a. God, in His new creation, has designed and prepared us for good works
that we should be fruitful in them by an exemplary manner of living.
b. God has before ordained or appointed that we should walk in good works.
IV. BAPTIST ARE UNWILLING FOR THEIR TEACHING AND PRACTICE TO
VARY FROM THE SCRIPTURES.
A. It’s not proper to say “the church” when referring to two or more of the Lord’s
1. The New Testament writers used the plural term “churches” when referring to
two or more churches, For ye, brethren, became followers of the churches of God
which in Judea are in Christ Jesus; I Thess. 2:14 John to the seven churches which are in Asia.
2. When writing to a particular assembly they always used the singular term
“church.” Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, I Cor. 1:2
B. The teaching of the “universal” and “universal invisible” church cannot be found
in the Bible, therefore it is not Baptist doctrine.
C. The “glory bride” doctrine which teaches that “at the end of the one thousand
years, known as the Millenium in which the church has been married (joined) to
the Lamb, the redeemed of all ages have gathered into the kingdom, learned of
the way and will of Christ and His word, and that these redeemed people have,
through scriptural baptism, been added to the church, thereby becoming a part of
a. This teaching cannot be found in the Bible, therefore it is not Baptist doctrine.
D. We need to cry unto God for Him to give us preachers who will preach His
1. Men who will not compromise, nor tickle the ears of the congregations.
Conclusion: In Isaiah 50:7 we find this prophecy of Christ For the Lord God will help me;
therefore shall I not be confounded:
A. He bore the disgrace and humiliation that was brought upon Him because He had
assurance of the Father’s help.
1. So do we, Isa. 41:10 “Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am
thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the
right hand of my righteousness. Isa. 50:7 Therefore have I set my face like a flint,
and I know that I shall not be ashamed”
B. Jesus Christ was scorned and He suffered but He never turn from His task nor
was He ever ashamed.
C. Paul said in Rom. 1:16 “For I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ.”
1. No need for Baptist preachers to be ashamed when we preach Baptist doctrine.
2. Set your face like a flint, be determined to fulfill your high calling of God.