Text: Luke 12:42-48
Intro: One thing that this parable teaches is that skepticism about the Lord's return produces misuse of authority and laxity of conduct. Verse 45 My lord delayeth his coming.
A. This servant began to beat the other menservants and the maidens and began eating drinking and to be drunken.
Verse 46. The Lord of that servant will come. Another thing that this parable teaches is that the Lord will come and that
He will bring rewards to the faithful and judgment to the unfaithful. Who has been given more than the Christian?
Certainly not the lost man or the heathen. If we have been given much, according to the Bible, much will be required of us.
I. WHAT HAVE WE BEEN GIVEN?
A. We've been given a Saviour (Luke 2:11). For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ
1. To need a Saviour means we needed to be saved.
2. What are we saved from?
a. Sin - Matt 1:21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people
from their sins. Rom 6:12 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.
b. Death and the grave - 1 Cor. 15:54-57 So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall
have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.
 O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?  The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin
is the law.  But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
c. Hell and the lake of fire - Rev. 20:14-15 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second
death.  And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.
B. We've been given a Bible.
1. Where did it come from? 2 Tim 3:16 All scripture [is] given by inspiration of God, and [is] profitable for doctrine, for
reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
2. What is it?
a. A road map to show us the way of salvation. - The only way
b. To the saved, it tells us;
1) What to believe - profitable for doctrine
2) What not to do – reproof
3) What to change - correction.
4) What to do - for instruction
C. We have been given the privilege of prayer (1 John 5:14-15) And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we
ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us:  And if we know that he hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that
we have the petitions that we desired of him.
D. We have been given forgiveness of sin.
1. Forgiveness of our past sins (Eph 1:7). In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,
according to the riches of his grace;
2. Forgiveness of our present and future sins (I John 1:9) If we confess our sins,
E. We have been given the promise of heaven -
1. John 14:1-6.
2. 2 Cor. 5:1 For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an
house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.
F. How sweet the promise of heaven must be to those who have loved ones on the other side.
II. WE HAVE BEEN GIVEN MUCH: What is required? What does God want from us?
A. An undivided heart (Deut 6:5) And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with
all thy might. (Matt 6:24) No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he
will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.
B. A dedicated life (Rom 12:1-2).
C. A Christ-like life - What is a Christ like life?
1. A life that overcomes sin (Rom 6:12). Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts
2. Self-less life - always helping others; giving instead of getting.
3. A Christ like life is always seeking the lost (Luke 19:10). For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which
a. Tell others what Christ has done for you.
b. Don't be ashamed (Rom 1:16).
III. WHY SHOULD WE LIVE THIS TYPE OF LIFE - VS.46 The lord of that servant will come in a day when he looketh not for him, and at an hour when he is not aware, and will cut him in sunder, and will appoint him his portion with the unbelievers.
1. Jesus is coming again.
2. We don't know when.
3. We will be rewarded.